An oxygen facial is a “nonmedical” procedure since nothing is injected into the body and no chemicals are used. There’s a new trend, known as Intraceuticals treatments or oxygen facials, beloved by celebrities including Madonna and Ashley Graham.
Oxygen facials are supposed to:
- reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- improve blood circulation
- promote collagen production for younger looking skin
How it reportedly works
The body needs oxygen to thrive, which is why we breathe. The theory behind oxygen facials — which isn’t scientifically backed — is that skin cells that are fully oxygenated via an oxygen facial will look bright and healthy.
During the procedure, an aesthetician will first cleanse and exfoliate your face. Every spa has its own process of administering an oxygen facial, but typically, a wand is used to deliver a stream of high pressurized oxygen to the skin’s surface.
Serums, usually containing hyaluronic acid which is known to plump the skin, are also applied to the face with the wand or after the oxygen portion of the facial.
Length of treatment
The length of oxygen facials varies depending on the spa, but you can expect the treatment to take at least 30 minutes to an hour. Bliss Spa, for example, offers a “Triple Oxygen Facial” that’s 75 minutes long.
Unlike more invasive treatments, there’s no downtime or healing after an oxygen facial. You can even apply makeup directly after if you choose.
Purported benefits of oxygen facials
- Added radiance. Some think the main benefit of oxygen facials is that they allow the pores to more easily absorb hyaluronic acid and other powerhouse ingredients from serums. Depending on what serums are used, benefits will vary.
- Hydrated skin. Oxygen helps infuse the serums into the skin. You can think of the oxygen wand like a little hose that delivers ingredients. Your skin will likely look and feel hydrated, especially if hyaluronic acid is a component.
- More even skin tone. Oxygen facials may deliver a large quantity of vitamins or botanical ingredients to your skin, which can result in bright, glowing skin.
- Reduction in fine lines. Oxygen facials are said to help improve blood circulation to the face, which can help skin look bright and plump.
- Calming of acne. Oxygen is known to accelerate wound healing and may also kill certain bacteria. This is why places with low levels of oxygen, such as airplanes, can cause skin issues. For these reasons, oxygen facials may help calm acne and kill Propionibacterium acnes bacteria, which causes certain types of acne.