Dip powder nails have taken the nail salon industry by storm. Everybody is talking about it and everybody is trying it: making dip powder the new trend. But actually, the dip manicure has been around since the 80s and just recently came back on-trend. Let’s talk about what is dip powder and its details.
What Are Dip Powder Nails?
Dip powders are a combination powder and a glue liquid that hardens when the air hits, leaving a long-lasting color on your nails. There is no need to use ultraviolet (UV) lights when applying this type of powder, while gel nails DOES require UV lights.
Also known as SNS nails, (Signature Nail Systems), dip powder nails are a better option than gel nails due to its simple application. All you need to do is dip your nail into a powder of your choice and seal it with a coat of polish. You’ll also need a base coat and a top coat.
How Are Dip Nails Applied?
As we said before, the application is pretty easy but it all depends on the method your nail salon uses. There are two techniques of dip powder nail application:
#1. Dipping Technique:
Some nail technicians use this method which consists of dipping the nails (hence the name) in the powder after applying a layer of polish like glue. The dipping process will continue depending on how deep you want the color to be.
This technique has been proven not to be the most healthy one. When you dip your nail into the powder you are exposed to germs, if the powder isn’t changed constantly this can be quite unsanitary.
#2. Painting the Powder Technique:
The safest method to apply dip powder is to paint the powder with a brush onto the nails. This way the amount of powder used will be controlled and exclusive for you.
Just like the dipping technique, apply a coat of the glue polish and then paint/brush the powder. Apply another layer of glue polish and continue applying color until the color desired is reached. If you are doing this at home always be careful and clean the edges.
Pros and Cons of Dip Nails
- Every girl dreams of the perfect manicure that lasts a long time, well, dip powders gives you just that. Dip powder manicures last for almost a month.
- You will be rocking your natural nails!! The powder goes on top of your natural nails so there is no need to get fake nails. Whether your nails are long or short, dip powder is for every type of nail.
- Dip powder actually protects your nails, using it allows the nail to have an extra layer of protection to prevent breakage and allow the nail to grow without any complications.
- No more chipped nails! Since it last longer and thanks to the glue-like polish, dip powder manicure won’t chip or peel like regular polishes after a few days.
- You can do it at home! Yes, dip powder manicure is so easy that you can do it yourself. Purchase a starter kit online and you are good to go but remember to be careful since you will be dealing with glue polish.
- As we said before, the dip powder manicure can be kind of unsanitary since some salon uses the dipping methods. Imagine having 10 different people dipping their nails in the same powder, yes – no good – the amount of bacteria risk is huge. If you decide to get your dip powder manicure in a salon try to go to one that uses the painting powder technique instead.
- The removal process can be a bit long if you are not careful enough. To remove dip nails, you need to follow every step carefully and not pick your nails. Luckily, removing your dip powder at home is possible, look into our nail section to find more about it.
- It can be a bit more expensive than other manicures, this is due to how trending it is and not a lot of people know the techniques.
- Dip powder manicure can cause some temporary damage in the nails and also tend to dehydrate them. It doesn’t cause permanent damage though, so don’t worry too much! Read More……….